Saturday, August 2, 2008

Thank You

I tucked him into bed tonight...
(And adjusted his pillow and blankie....)
It's been a long exhausting day...
(And he sure has been cranky)
He threw every toy from his toy box...
And he tossed all his lunch on the floor...
He begged me to got out to play...
(He just wouldn't let go of the door...)
Most people cannot comprehend...
The things he has been through...
They tell me... "I just can't imagine..."
"How you do all the things that you do.
" I sigh... just because they don't realize...
How could they ever know?
Just what a precious gift it is...
To watch my child grow.
I still remember clearly...
Our days in ICU...
Hoping, praying, wondering...
What were you going through?
Stroking your hand...feeling helpless...
Whispering words in your ear...
"It's alright my baby"...
"Mommy is right here".
Helpless...scared...bewildered...
Wanting to just see you smile...
Thinking..."I"m not strong enough"...
To make it through this trial.
Knowing that... not all children...
Survive these surgeries...
Day by day...with patience...
Constantly praying...for peace.
And so...that is the "secret"...
To doing the things...I must do...
There is no perfect...inner strength...
I guess God brought us through.
And so...when I see... footprints...
All over my freshly mopped floor...
Or gooey dried bannana's...
Smudged on the living room door...
I wipe it off...with just a smile...
Just praying for more to appear...
These are my reminders...
I'm blessed to have him here.
I tucked him into bed tonight...
And as I walked away...
I looked up for a moment...and said...
"Thank you...for "today".

~Stephanie Husted

No comments:

Braeden's journey...

Visits from my friends